MSc Management and Educational Leadership
The quality of educational leaders and their management skills have a profound impact on the education system. It is therefore important for the region to prepare a cadre of leaders for the education sector who have the leadership and management competencies that regional education systems require in order to produce a workforce that can meet the demands of the 21st Century.
About the Programme
The Master of Science (MSc) in Management and Educational Leadership is geared towards assisting educational leaders to develop a sound understanding of educational organisations and prepare them to acquire foundational competencies in a variety of areas in management in order to improve their managerial decision making abilities.
On completion of this programme students, are expected to:
- demonstrate critical thinking and analytical skills in the context of educational organisations
- make sound leadership and management decisions based on the economic, financial, organisational, social and cultural context individually and in teams
- provide solutions for real world problems and challenges facing contemporary leaders in the education sector, individually and in teams, using appropriate current technologies and resources
- interpret management theory through the perspective of prior experience and improve educational practice by systematically applying knowledge and understanding of leadership and management to complex issues (including those that are unique to small island developing states)
- apply ethical and organisational values and practice corporate social responsibility
- design and conduct research into leadership and managerial problems, report findings and propose solutions using appropriate current technologies
- demonstrate a deep knowledge and understanding of the education sector within a wider organisational and global context
- demonstrate an understanding of current issues and trends in the education sector
- apply specialist skills to educational organisations in a variety of contexts
- offer both technical and practical advice to stakeholders in the education sector
- communicate effectively and perceptively both orally and in writing
Who is this programme for?
The programme seeks to target persons who are engaged in administrative, supervisory and leadership functions. These would include:
- Senior teachers
- Ministry Officials
- Suitably qualified persons wishing to develop graduate competences in educational leadership and management.
The MSc in Management and Educational Leadership is a forty (40) to forty one (41)-credit programme comprised of:
- A graduate Diploma consisting of the following courses
- One course in Analytical and Communication skills
- Two courses in general management
- Four courses in educational management and leadership
- An MSc. that incorporates the Diploma as well as the following courses
- One course in general management*
- Two courses in educational leadership*
- A research seminar
- A research project
* Depending on the elective chosen, the post-Diploma level may include:
- 2 courses in general management
- 1 course in educational leadership
Duration and Award of Programme
The MSc Management and Educational Leadership Programme will be offered for a minimum of twenty-four (24) months full-time and a minimum of thirty-six (36) months part-time (2 Years and 2 Semesters). Students who meet the criterion for full-time registration are required to complete a maximum of 3 courses per Semester and 2 in the Summer. Students who are registered as part-time, are required to take 2 courses per Semester and 1 in the Summer.
The UWI Regulation for Graduate Registration
In accordance with The UWI Graduate Regulations, “Full-time students may take employment for not more than twelve hours per week without losing their full-time status otherwise they shall be registered as part-time. However, research students who hold Teaching or Research Assistantships in the area of their research programmes may be registered as full-time students, provided that their employment commitment does not exceed twenty hours per week” (Graduate Regulation 1.46).
Students will have the option of exiting upon successful completion of the seven Diploma courses and will be eligible for the award of the graduate Diploma in Management and Educational Leadership.
Most courses in this Programme are delivered fully online, however, there is one elective which has a face-to-face final exam.
When will the programme start?
This offering of the programme begins in August 2015.
An undergraduate degree (at least a Lower Second Class or its equivalent) from an approved tertiary institution
All new graduate students are required to do the Graduate Introduction to Online Learning before starting the programme.